Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The (Unscientific) Radler Review

'Radler' is German for cyclist.  According to legend, it was first developed in 1922 by German Innkeeper, Franz Kugler. He had built a bike trail from Munich to his Inn in forested area of Germany. On the first day the trail opened, he had more thirsty cyclists than beer, so he stretched his supply by adding lemonade. Radler is the German name for this beer-and-juice combination, equivalent of the British shandy.  Its low alcohol (between 2-4% ) makes it an ideal after-sport thirst quencher.  In  North American, many craft brewers create their own unique versions with lager or wheat-beer bases and mainly grapefruit juice.

These are the 5 brands I tried!

There is no particular reason I tried the above Radlers. I went to the Beer Store to purchase Stiegl Radler, which I was introduced to me by my daughter and I like, but it is only available at the LCBO. A staff member suggested I try another brand so I randomly picked up the other four above.



The first one I tried was the Bud Light Radler:

Size: 473 mls
Composition: light lager, fruit juice (white grape, grapefruit according to some sources)
Calories: 139
Sugar: 0 g
Potassium: 325 mg
Alcohol Content: 2.4%
Brewed: in Canada by Labatt

COST: $2.85







Next was Waterloo Grapefruit Radler:

Size: 473 mls (Also available in 355 ml. cans)
Composition: lager, grapefruit and grape juices
Calories: 176
Sugar: 0 g
Potassium: 0 g
Alcohol Content: 3.1%
Brewed: In Kitchener-Waterloo by Waterloo Brewing, a Division of the Brick Brewing Company

COST: $2.75










          Rickards Radler:

          Size: 473 mls
          Composition: lager, grapefruit and lemon juice
          Calories: 200
          Sugar: 20 g
          Potassium: 0 g
          Alcohol Content: 3.2%
          Brewed: in Quebec by Molson

          COST: $2.70






Steigl Radler:


Size: 500 mls
Composition: 60 % grapefruit juices; 40% beer (lager)
Calories: 175
Sugar: 0
Alcohol Content: 2.5%
Brewed: Austria

COST: $2.95



      Moosehead Radler

      Size: 473 mls.   
      Composition: 85% lager, 15 % grapefruit, lemon and other            fruit juices
      Calories: 115
      Sugar: 0 g
      Potassium: 0 g
      Alcohol Content: 4%
      Brewed: in New Brunswick by Moosehead Breweries

      COST: $2.75






My choice for top radler of these 5 was Waterloo Grapefruit Radler. I just like the taste of the citrus beer ratio, and the fact that it is available in smaller cans. Stiegl was a close second. They are all pretty good, and there are many more I'll have to try. Waterloo Radler is available year round at the Beer Store in Ontario, so its not just a summer beer for me.








No comments:

Post a Comment